In-Memory Computing Brings Operational Intelligence to Business Challenges
Every day, businesses face the challenge of analyzing and responding in the moment to fast-changing data, and the workloads are only getting larger. In diverse applications, including cable media, IoT, logistics, financial services, medical monitoring, and more, companies need “operational intelligence” – the ability to identify patterns and trends that impact competitiveness and then take immediate action. As legacy, database-centric software architectures have become increasingly overtaxed, in-memory computing (IMC) has stepped in to meet the need. This talk explores several use cases in which IMC techniques, both data-parallel and stream-oriented, have been applied to real-world applications and created breakthroughs in performance and scalability.
The uses cases in this talk cover more than a decade of experience in helping customers develop IMC applications. After reviewing the key architectural features for in-memory data grids (IMDGs), the talk discusses the challenges in using parallel query and the benefits in migrating to data-parallel analysis, such as MapReduce, with two examples in financial services (stock back-testing and rebalancing a hedge fund’s portfolio) and one in logistics (reconciling orders and inventory in real time). Next the talk describes the use of method invocations within an IMDG to supplement data-parallel analysis, with case studies in financial services (column-oriented analysis) and in cable media (viewer tracking).
The final part of the talk describes the evolution of IMC for use in stateful stream-processing and briefly describes the use of the “digital twin” model to implement applications and take advantage of the IMDG’s unique capabilities. Several examples in stream-processing are covered, including IoT, medical device monitoring, and ecommerce recommendations.
Recent talks presented by Bill Bain:
• In-Memory Computing Summit Amsterdam and San Francisco 2017: Stream Processing with In Memory Data Grids: Creating the Digital Twin
• DEVintersection Spring 2017: Supercomputing with Microsoft’s Task Parallel Library
• In-Memory Computing Summit 2016: Implementing User-Defined Data Structures in In-Memory Data Grids
• Database Month New York April 2016: Using Memory-Based NoSQL Data Structures to Eliminate the Network Bottleneck
• IBM POWER8 ISV Testimonial 2015: POWER8 and ScaleOut Software: In-memory computing for operational intelligence
• In-Memory Computing Summit 2015: Implementing Operational Intelligence Using In-Memory, Data-Parallel Computing
• Database Month New York May 2015: Using In-Memory, Data-Parallel Computing for Operational Intelligence
• Big Data Spain 2014: Real Time Analytics with MapReduce And In-Memory
• Strata+Hadoop World 2014: Using Operational Intelligence to Track 10M Cable TV Viewers in Real Time
URLs of previous presentations:
• In-Memory Computing Summit Amsterdam 2017: https://imcsummit.org/2018/us/sessions/stream-processing-memory-data-grids-c…
• In-Memory Computing Summit 2016: https://imcsummit.org/2016/videos-and-slides/implementing-user-defined-… • Database Month New York April 2016: http://www.databasemonth.com/database/nosql-data, https://youtu.be/2KfiQPkuemM
• IBM POWER8 ISV Testimonial 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q5ERajssvs
• In-Memory Computing Summit 2015: http://www.slideshare.net/imcsummit/imcs2015-1-devimplementing-operatio…
• Database Month New York May 2015: http://www.databasemonth.com/database/scaleout-data, https://youtu.be/xaFcJmu1yqg
• Big Data Spain 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52smTmprT7w
• Strata + Hadoop 2014: http://conferences.oreilly.com/strata/stratany2014/public/content/solut…, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOSk5nnzUpA